Bring on the Music Inc.
DBA Silverlake Conservatory of Music
SCM is currently closed for music lessons. We are taking it day by day and will reopen as soon as it is safe to do so. Stay tuned!
Before coming back to SCM
We must work together to keep our community safe, strong and healthy.
- Before attending lessons, please do a self wellness check at home for signs of illness, including: fever, cough, shortness of breath or trouble breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, increased tiredness or fatigue, new loss of taste or smell
- If you are sick or exhibiting any symptoms related to COVID–19, please stay home
- If you have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID–19, we ask that you self quarantine for 14 days and do not attend any lessons at SCM
- If you test positive for COVID–19, notify SCM as soon as possible
- All students must complete the assumption of risk waiver prior to starting lessons again: WAIVER
Modifications to expect when you return
- We are only offering 30 minute lessons at this time
- Schedules modified to limit the amount of people permitted inside the building
- Lesson studios reassigned to the largest spaces
- Plexiglass partitions built for our vocal, woodwind and brass studios
- HVAC upgraded with a hi-tech UVC filtration system. UV lights and new filters will kill viruses and bacteria in the air (expect it to be chilly)
- There will be a 15 minute break between lessons
- Lesson studios, including pianos, will be disinfected before and after each lesson
- All common areas, such as the student entrance, will be disinfected frequently
- Hand sanitizer will be supplied throughout the building, in all lesson studios and at the student entrance
- We will conduct temperature checks using a no-contact thermometer on all individuals entering the building
- Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or above will not be permitted on the premises
- The lobby area will be closed
- Lessons will be drop off only
- Students will wait outside for their lesson time
- We ask that you please pay tuition via autopay, over the phone, or by check
- The restrooms and kitchen will be closed to student use
- Plan ahead – please use the restroom at home
- Come prepared to your lesson with a water bottle, pencil, notebook and any other necessary supplies
Please enjoy our safety protocol video: SCM Protocols
Rules to Follow
Face Coverings Required
- We require the use of face coverings at all times (includes masks, bandanas and/or face shields). No one will be permitted on the premises without a face covering
- Face coverings must fit properly – covering your nose and mouth and requiring little adjusting
- The removal of face coverings is only permitted in lessons where the covering prohibits the student from playing their instrument. Plexiglass partitions have been built for our vocal, woodwind and brass studios. Face coverings must be worn in all other lessons
- Please pay careful attention and avoid touching your face
Practice physical distancing
- Please adhere to a distance of at least 6 feet between yourself and others
- There will be no sharing of instruments or supplies between student and instructor
- Lessons have been moved to larger studios to allow for 6 feet of space between student and instructor
- Avoid person-to-person contact, such as shaking hands, hugging, fist-bumping, etc.
Wash your hands
- Wash your hands often and thoroughly – for at least 20 seconds with soap and water
- Please wash your hands at the station outside the student entrance prior to your lesson
- Hand sanitizer will be supplied throughout the building, including each lesson studio
If you would like to sign up for one-on-one lessons, please call SCM at 323.665.3363
Silverlake Conservatory is still bringing on the music... from home!
Our mission at Silverlake Conservatory of Music, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, is to facilitate a dynamic music education and to teach beginning and accomplished musicians of all skill levels. Our primary focus is on the youth of the community, but all are welcome and encouraged to participate. The Conservatory offers private music lessons on all orchestral and band instruments, as well as a variety of ensemble classes at a reasonable cost. We grant scholarships to children who qualify, providing free lessons and instruments. The performances and recitals put on by the Conservatory are a fulfilling experience for the students and a beautiful outreach to the community. Our goal is to keep our standard of teaching at the highest level while maintaining a friendly, fun and nurturing environment. The study of music enriches not only the lives of the student and teacher, but the community and society as well.
SCHOLARSHIP MISSION STATEMENT
Silverlake Conservatory of Music provides scholarships to children whose families would otherwise be unable to afford lessons. Through a variety of sources including: personal contributions, corporate contributions, musical instrument donation and in-house fundraising activities, the Conservatory has maintained a strong roster of talented and committed future musicians. We strive to address the decrease in arts education in schools while providing cultural enrichment to our community at large.
Silverlake Conservatory of Music was founded in 2001 by longtime friends and musicians Michael “Flea” Balzary and Keith “Tree” Barry. Cutbacks in arts education programming throughout Los Angeles public schools prompted the two to found SCM in an effort to fill the void and bring music to the community.
Silverlake Conservatory of Music opened in 2001 in its original location at Sunset Junction. Offering reasonably priced lessons for all and scholarships to students whose families could not otherwise afford lessons, we expanded our programs to include ensemble classes, summer camps and workshops. With the support of our extraordinary family of donors, teachers, students, artists and musicians we moved into our forever home at 4652 Hollywood Blvd. in October 2016. We look forward to bringing music education to the kids and kids at heart in our community for years to come.
Our music school thrives in a 1930s brick building beautifully redesigned by Bestor Architecture. There is color and vibrancy throughout the space, making SCM an exciting hub of activity that reflects the creativity of our faculty and students. Featuring 13 state of the art lesson studios of various sizes, a recital space, retail store and lobby, SCM’s new home triples our capacity and doubles our scholarship program, offering more music education for the kids and kids at heart in our community.
Silverlake Conservatory of Music’s retail store offers essential supplies for the study of music. We also carry a fine selection of starter instruments, instruction books, music books, accessories and apparel.
Who We Are
Jennifer Rey – Executive Director
SJ Hasman – Director of Programs
Board of Directors
Michael “Flea” Balzary – Cofounder
Keith Barry – Cofounder & Consultant
and also . . .
Keith Barry – Cofounder & Consultant
Peter Weiss – Cofounder
George Flowers Sr. – Security
George Flowers Jr. – Security
Jenny Cottle – Bookkeeping
Greg Brouwer – Videography
Gary Leonard – Photography
Nema Pazargad – Piano Technician
Ashley Thomas Macias – Manager
Cristina Oseguera Perez
Tammy Jo Leonard
Ashley Thomas Macias